Friday, June 19, 2009

Pedaling


Rex bought this bike for my birthday 3 years ago. I had a good run for several months, riding daily through our hills. Now that's a workout. But the newness wore off, as usual, and my bike has sat (hung) unused for well over a year. There were times when I wanted to ride it to a neighbor's or to the garden but I had no way of carrying anything. Yesterday I decided to splurge and buy a basket. I could hardly wait to get it mounted and full of garden veggies. Rex and I had it on by late afternoon and I was off to the garden. Going was great. I also bought an odometer and I marveled at my quick speed, 16, 17, 20 mph. Down to the garden I sped. I picked the few cucumbers, squash, and carrots that were ready. Even though the garden was shaded I still worked up a good sweat in the heat. I decided I needed to cool off at the creek before heading home. Not wanting to soak my clothes I just splashed water on my face and neck. Regret. Riding home was very different. 12, 6, 4 mph. Up I climbed back to the house. By the time I reached our drive I was exhausted and had a throbbing headache. I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it up the hill, but stopping to rest didn't seem to offer any respite from the heat. There wasn't any breeze. I needed water, to drink and to run over my head. So I put one foot in front of the other and slowly walked up our hill, our Mountain, our MT. EVEREST! I made it, went straight for the water hose and drenched myself. I think I learned my lesson.

No comments: