Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stress and Relief

Today was one of the most intense days I can remember. I took a test. Not just any test. This one was administered at a testing facility, cost 130 dollars, and affects my future teaching certificate. The Praxis is well known among future educators. Initially I didn’t have any concerns, a basic test of reading, mathematics, and writing, I’m an A student. No problem. To be on the safe side, I ordered a study book from Amazon. Whoa. Humility is good for everyone every once in a while. Obviously I’m not as competent as I thought. I squeezed studying for the Praxis in amongst studying for my other college courses.

I arrived at the testing center at 7:50 this morning.  My rights were read (well pretty close to it), ID carefully scanned, and signature tested for comparison to the signature on my ID. Luckily I didn’t have to be fingerprinted like some test takers. I was issued a locker for my purse and other belongings. No jewelry, paper, tissue, etc., were allowed beyond the “door.” After exposing the inside of my pockets, I was ready to begin.

One 5 minute break and 4.5 hours later I was finished. My brain was mush. My scores revealed I had passed 2 out of the 3 sections. The 3rd section, writing, will be graded and posted in a few weeks. 

Groceries were next on the list.  I drove to Wal-Mart in a daze. The nail salon located in the front area of the store caused me to pause, “Spa Pedicure-$25.00.” I took a few minutes to battle the idea: yes, no, yes, no, YES! The second pedicure I have had in my lifetime, yet the more enjoyable. I sat in the pulsating chair a glorious hour and dulled my brain with Hollywood gossip magazines while Kay massaged  my feet.  
  
Snap back to reality. Groceries. No way was I going to ruin my new nude, yet shimmering polish. "Yes, I will gladly wear the foam, disposable flip flops through the food aisles."

Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.


No comments: